so i am completely stumped. mark is too, and he has given it up to me to decide which middle name to give to our third boy. i have searched and searched and thought and thought. maybe there are some suggestions out there for me? opinions? help!
things i want in a name that are slowing me down:
our other boys' names are--Odin Taft and Ronan Ash, what in the world could match the style of our family names and still sound cool with the name Archer, which we have selected for this next one?
the other boys' middle names are one syllable. i like how it has worked so far, so do i want to keep up the pattern?
and if i REALLY want to stick to a pattern that has emerged, then i must limit the total number of letters in first and middle names to eight. that leaves me only two letters for a middle name. without making up a name (which i really don't want to do) or sounding totally lame, what two letter name options do i have that still sound good? probably none.
so at this point i am seriously considering using just an initial, which actually has fowler family history, but i wonder if the child will feel ripped off. where is the rest of the name? i could take an initial and spell it out as it sounds, but that seems then like a real name and not just an initial. it loses the family connection as its purpose for being used and then i might as well just pick a name at that point and not go with initials.
but then that takes me back to just picking out any old name, i would like it to have some connection. for example, Taft is where mark's family lived when he was born. Ash is a shortened version of Ashby, a family name-not to mention a totally cool name and a great character from a movie trilogy that some of you might know.
i think i have made my point as to how come we are stumped. so ANY suggestions? i need an awesome name to get me out of these hold-ups that are slugging my brain for ideas.
18 comments:
So, I’ve got four suggestions. They all follow the 2-letter rule. So, if you decide to scrap that stipulation, I could suggest some more.
1. Cy – This is from either Greek, Persian or English origin, depending on whom you ask, and it means “master, lord”
2. Bo – If you wanted a theme with Archer (bow), and a slightly more common boy’s name
3. En – If you wanted to spell out an initial, I think this is the best one
4. Mo – just for fun. :)
Caro- you make me laugh! The very first thing that came to my head as far as a middle name was Rain. Now I am not fan of the unusual names, but honestly that was the first thing that came to mind even before I finished reading your post (i know its not two letters, but what ever) You could always spell it Raine, Rayne, or what ever. I hope your prengnacy is going well!!!
Trey, Luke, Scott, Sean, I'm just coming up with one syllable ones. Archer Scott kind of sounds nice. Don't limit the amount of letters. I think that would making things too hard.
I just got an email from a guy named Home. How 'bout that? Archer Home Pike.
Wolf
Han
Lynx
Frey
Fin
Leer
Taj
Did I mention I love the name? You guys are so good at coming up with cool names! I think the middle name needs to be either 1 syllable or 3. Archer Didymus Pike sounds pretty good too.
Man, I hear you. We're in the same debate right now...except my husband won't just turn the decision over to me! I'm sorry for your struggles, but it is nice to know that someone else is going through the same thing!
I've been a fan of patterns, but I think that just makes each kid harder and harder to name. So I say, throw caution to the wind and go with John.
...what? Oh, it's ok, I think it's a pretty boring name, too!
wahoo! more please!
the main thing is to have some kind of cool meaning-a good strong masculine meaning. and we like historical or classical names.
the pattern is just mostly a coincidence, so not really stipulations so much as "hey, if you can think of a cool name to match them, awesome."
but we are cool with any great suggestions. didymus. i am liking the sound of three syllables.
and mark still does want to like the name choice. i get to do the research.
Hi Pike Family, Ok so you don't know me, I am Mark's second cousin on his mom's side. I have been reading all the blogs and this one just got to me. I went crazy,I mean crazy trying to name my kids. I have to tell you that I love the other two kids names. So I thought I would put my two cents in and I hope you don't mind.
Archer Aden Pike, Archer Emmet Pike, Archer Layland Pike, Archer Levi Pike, Archer Zeb Pike, Archer Quincy Pike and Archer Brice Pike. They really have no reason for them just that I think they sound good. You take care, Let me know what you think. Darlene
Hi! ok, so I mention this to Chuck on the way to the grocery store and these are what we came up with...
Kahn
Leif
Trae
Brock
...and the best one 'Demann' pronounced like The man. (One of his student's names that cracks us up. Totally manly!
we've been looking up the meanings to all of these names and like quite a few of them. thanks! we're still taking suggestions.
How about Dwayne or what ever spelling you like. Did you know that Dwayne means small and annoying. LOL it makes me laugh.
By the way, we had fun tonight. We need to hang out more.
Echt.
echt, as in the german word true, genuine and pure? cool
Carolyn...
In addition to the suggested,
Wells (for Hackwell)
Or (Icelandic for Arrow)
and
Ea (Celtic for Fire, masculine for Ethne)
My mom thinks Oz is a great idea.
I have to agree
Archer Oz, just cause it is cool...
Oak- it's strong, goes with Ash, and you have a really beautiful one right outside your home that I was noticing at Thanksgiving.
Don- the obvious connection, and also it's a title of respect in Spanish
Mars- maybe you should save this for the first name of your 4th boy
Ze- (zay) Two letters, and recalls Ze Frank, the author of such fantastic songs as 'If the Earth was a sandwich' and 'How do you spank a Giant Baby?'
Neptune- OK, any of the planets, really. But, who doesn't like the ocean?
A negative vote for didymus- too similar to epididymus, which is going to cause him some trouble in health class some day.
Oh, and I like Leer, only you should spell it Lear- like the king and the jet.
right, no epididymus.
awesome suggestions carrie!
Oh, I have one more-
Fe. Pronouced fay, I guess.
It's the symbol for iron on the periodic table, it's two letters long, and it means 'faith' in Spanish.
Post a Comment