is it beginning to sound a lot like christmas yet?

with a baby expected shortly after Christmas time, i have decided to be a little bit more on the ball with getting ready with gifts this year. with the distance to town-not to mention the price of just getting there-the kids in tow, and (will be) being too huge to navigate the crowds, i am a little loathe to run down to town to spend way too much money on toys that will just cause fighting and messes. so this year i am going to experiment with a homemade Christmas. well, at least for everyone but mark. i don't think mark would be able to use any homemade technology that i could devise. so for him maybe a few coupons for a good time to go with his new video card and memory sticks.

i have been wanting to do this for a long time but have not felt ready to tackle the plethora of ideas available on the web. so i have been wondering about simple homemade gifts or items that you all have received, made, or are contemplating. i think i could get the idea juices flowing better if i wasn't overwhelmed by ALL the good stuff out there.

8 comments:

Leah said...

Good for you! I really like that idea too! Maybe we'll have to give that a try here!

beth said...

I always love blankets.
hommade jewlery is always a hit. for kids, tim made stilts for rachel one year. i think a rope jungle gym in the trees would be fun...maybe next year. quiet books with pictures of family for church....if only i was as good at DOING as i am at thinking! that's as far as my talent goes!
Beth

carolyn said...

beth, those are some great ideas. i remember loving stilts that dad made. i think odin is at a point to enjoy a small set maybe. i think a rope swing on our side, he really enjoys the one over at mom and dad's but it is not made for his size.

Katie said...

Mom has a Family Fun that shows how to make homemade stuffed creatures. You can even pattern them after your kids' drawings.

Moundbuilders Ward Young Women said...

ok, so i found this website, www.etsy.com. it is like ebay but all hand made items. it's a little expensive, but lots of ideas to copy!

The Chuck Smith Family said...

sorry, i didn't realize i used my yw login earlier, it was me.

Unknown said...

One Christmas when I was young we made an assortment of Jams and Jellies to give away.

Scott & Annedria said...

Carolyn, hey roomie!! Remember me?? I think of you every time I hear "Soul Coughin" Gosh it has been soooo long!! Angela tracked me down. I'm so glad that she had a link to your blog. Your boys are so cute. So how are you? I'm doing good livin in AZ. Check out my blog www.hendersonsa.blogspot.com Hope you don't mind that I added you to my blog.
Love ya,
Annedria